WCI Logo - Work Community Integration
Our History

WCI History

Established in 1962, WCI (West Central Industries) was an acculumative effort between ARC and a committee of community individuals determined to develop a workshop and work program for people with disabilities. Members of the first board were Harvey Anderson, Mrs. Archie Blomgren, Olaf Dahlen, Ed Gesch, Mrs. Tess Hogan, Eppo (Bud) Meyer, Charles Richardson, Hy Rosenbaum, Durwood Thompson, Richard Hoglund, Rev. John Kauffmann and Dr. P.V. Mehmel.

Timeline
  • 1959 - Initial Meetings
  • 1963 - Contract Work begins at Calvary Lutheran Church
  • 1965 - Move to City Auditorium
  • 1969 - New Building at 711 E. Willmar Ave.
  • 1972 - Meals on Wheels starts
  • 1979 - Recycling Center opens
  • 1983 - Groundbreaking for current location at 1300 22nd St. SW
  • 1983 - Received first accreditation by CARF
  • 1984 - Received “Outstanding Rehabilitation Facility Award” from NARF
  • 1985 -  Grant received for community-based employment
  • 1989 - Hutchinson begins Supported Employment
  • 1993 - DT&H begins in Willmar
  • 2002 - Celebrates 40 Years
  • 2008 - The Resource Center Program begins
  • 2012 - Celebrates 50 Years
  • 2016 - Thrift Store operated by His House
The Resource Center Program
We serve familes of children, teens and young adults with special needs. Learn More.